Medically Unexplained Symptoms
Medically unexplained symptoms describe physical feelings that are as of yet not explained by a diagnosed medical condition. An important point to be made is that this does not mean that the symptoms are ‘all in your head’, these symptoms are real and can impair your ability to do daily tasks.
To understand medically unexplained symptoms we have to look at how the body and mind work together. Whilst the lack of answers regarding why you feel a certain way can be incredibly frustrating, medically unexplained symptoms can still be treated.
Actions that can help
- Go and see your GP. They will work with you to eliminate all possible causes of your symptoms.
- Tell your doctor what your symptoms are like, when they started and what makes them better or worse.
- Tell your doctor what you think or fear is the cause of your symptoms and your expectations of how tests and treatments might help.
- Tell your doctor how your symptoms affect what you can do and what they stop you doing.
- Tell your doctor if these symptoms are distressing for you.