Dr Laura McKenzie-Smith
What I can help with
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing
- Mindfulness Based Interventions
- Compassion Focused Therapy
I can offer therapy informed by a number of psychological approaches to suit the needs of each individual. This includes Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT) and narrative therapy, and may further be informed by systemic and psychodynamic theory.
I feel strongly about working with people who have experienced trauma. Trauma occurs to all of us in life, although this may be in different ways. The impact of trauma is that it can often make day to day life really difficult, and, for some people, this can get in the way of living the life that they would want to live. Particularly, I know how trauma can lead to lots of difficult feelings including low mood, anxiety, guilt, and shame, can make relationships difficult. I feel passionately about working with people who have experienced trauma to reduce its impact and move towards living the life they would like to lead. Through my work I have developed experience of working with people who have been traumatised, including people suffering with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Complex PTSD.
I have worked in the NHS since 2013, working across the lifespan in community and inpatient settings. Through this I have gained experience of working with a wide range of complex and co-morbid mental health issues. I have further developed experience in conducting neuropsychological assessments and working with people with intellectual disabilities (ID) and Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD), and have developed skills in adapting interventions to suit the needs of people with these diagnoses.
I can provide psychological therapy for a wide range of mental health problems such as:
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) for single events (road traffic accidents, assault, etc) or multiple traumas (including childhood abuse, bullying, domestic violence and occupational traumas i.e. emergency services)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Bipolar Affective Disorder
- Anxiety Disorders (including Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety and Phobias)
- Low Self Esteem
Specialist interests and additional qualifications
- CBT for Complex PTSD Workshop with the London Trauma Specialists